March 29, 2011

"Real food Mutha F***er's, do you eat it?"

Funniest line I'v hear in a while and 100% appropriate for what it was in response to... The Scene: In the kitchen at the office I was compiling my lunch and set an avocado on the counter. Now picture this "kitchen/lunchroom" is microscopic and is somehow supposed to accommodate an entire building and where the most prized item is the microwave. Some of us call it the lunchroom shuffle as we attempt to make food while others state how healthy we eat, some of us just get angry and leave, others completely resolve themselves from dealing with it by only eating take out, and  others occasionally dart in & out to load up on awful coffee that they dilute with sugar and powdered "cream". In the end, we make our food around those darting in and out to microwave their non-food food-items or those getting bad coffee refills as if it were a real life video game. We're lucky no one's been stabbed with a fork.





Back to the lovely thing that is called an avocado. Oh avocado, I how I do think you are lovely and some people don't really even know what you are!?






As I was standing pressed up against the wall waiting to get back to my food prep and as my avocado lay on the counter awaiting my return, I became engaged in a conversation about my food (shocking... I eat healthy and it's like a disfunction). 



Bad coffee refiller: "What is THAT?" 
Me:  "[pause]... It's an avocado." (Truly confused by the question)
Non-Food Food-Like microwaver: "That's what they make guacamole out of, right?"
Me: "[pause]... Yes, guacamole is mostly avocados..."
NFFLM: "I've had that once, I don't like avocados." 

Now there was a little more to the conversation, but nothing more than "it's green and slimy" kind of thing. Other than that folks, this is truly the conversation that was had. The exotic item of the lunchroom today was an avocado. The delicious, subtle, creamy, healthy-fat filled, wondrous avocado from California. 

No comments:

Post a Comment